[Zope] Re: Line Wrap and the Zope Community?

Ron theotiwii@earthlink.net
22 Nov 2001 10:33:19 -0800

Simon Michael wrote:

> Whoops! Your rant broke loose :)

Ouch, you're right, sorry :-/

The problem isn't just Line Wrap, it's the whole "take it or leave it"
attitude to presentation I'm feeling.

Perhaps EXPERIENCED users on this list are puzzled by my admonitions
since they aren't scrounging the Zope sites for HOWTO's, tutorials and
the like, being EXPOSED to just how trying the process is.

Okay, here is an example. The author of this page has my gratitude and
praise for his/her contribution, but in my opinion Zope has failed BOTH
that author AND me... Here's the page:

	http://cmf.zope.org/CMF/Members/beehive/ZWACKChap5.html

1. I run at 1600x1200 dpi, this page (typical of other Zope pages)
requires about 1100 of those horizontal pixels to avoid scrolling EVERY
SINGLE FRIGGING LINE!

It's a tutorial and a HOWTO... but it takes up so much of my desktop I
spend the entire experience flipping between windows, WHY on a 19"
monitor at 1600x1200 am I forced to do this??? (Gerrr!)

2. Not to mention VISUAL ALACRITY! Where's the color, the captivating
use of fonts, eye catching graphic highlights, nicely styled paragraphs,
hypertext references, perhaps even an animated image or two?... Right,
right... it's 1.1 CMF... as if THAT'S AN EXCUSE?

And get this... THIS IS CLASSIC... Scroll down to Table 05.01 for a
demonstration on just what it takes to modify a CMF color... Need I say
more?

If it were 1995 I would expect this, but the world has moved on.

What... it's the author's responsibility? Go start MS Word, load any one
of their templates, type "I am just a data source" and press PRINT! Does
this exercise light any bulbs???

If _I_ wrote Zope... I would be sending the above author MY APOLOGIES
for what I've done to their work - how many of YOU reading this page
would feel either PRIDE in the presentation or would be willing to BLAME
ITS AUTHOR!?!

This was sent to me privately: "the issue you are talking about has
_nothing_ to do with zope".

What? Nothing to do with Zope? My apologies then... Let's just blame the
user, the author, very convenient, very helpful, and very bound to
improve Zope as a Web Publishing Platform.

-Ron

oh... Sorry again, Simon, for posting this on your dime... ;-/