[Zope] How big a site can Zope handle?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:32:19 +0100

From: "Toby Dickenson" <tdickenson@devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk>
>If usage of your forums is anything like way I read the zope mailing
>list, then less than 1% of transactions will be posting new articles.

Sure, but the remainding 99% will set a read-flag.
We have some ideas of how to merge loads of these read-flags into one
transaction, but I'm not sure it will be useful. I'm just very lazy and
don't want to implement something I don't need. :-)

>Other posters have suggested that zope is not good for high-write
>throughput. Thats generally true, and you might want to consider using
>a different way of storing the read/unread status. Cookies?

Nah, it has to be set on a user level, not on a computer level.

>A hand-waving ballpark estimate assuming you dont store read/unread
>status in the ODB: 10 to 100 read transactions per second (the
>variation depends on your page complexity). Even better than that, you
>can use a caching front-end proxy to multiply that up.
>
>2 to 20 impure-read transactions if you do. and you cant cache :-(
>
>I hope that helps.

Very helpful, thanks!