[Zope] ZPT and DreamWeaver

Ron Bickers rbickers-dated-1000150679.34efdb@logicetc.com
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:37:59 -0400

> I've been reading about Zope Page Templates and it looks like its targeted
> to DreamWeaver and GoLive (as Evan said) now, how do DreamWeaver users
> interact with zope?

It's targeted to any Web design package that won't mangle unknown
attributes.  Those just happen to be two of the most popular.

> supposing you are using latest dreamweaver (4.0 + 4.0.1 patches), be it
> either WebDAV or FTP there's no way dreamweaver will open the
> extension-less
> zope files in its editor, unless you drag-n-drop it, and in that case,
> dreamweaver will refuse to show the 'design' view (rendered hml).

I've complained on the Macromedia newsgroup and sent a feature request to
Macromedia regarding this.  No other program that I have refuses to open a
file that the program can read just because the extension is missing,
unknown, or that of different type than the file actually is.  I hope they
fix this.

One thing I recently discovered is that if you right-mouse on a file in the
DW site window and select "open with...browse" and then find a select
Dreamweaver.exe, DW will open it and allow the design view.  This is a
stupid workaround, of course, but it does allow editing the files in DW
without having to play the rename game.  I created a shortcut to
Dreamweaver.exe in a convenient place to make this workaround faster, but it
still stinks.

> Now, how can ZPT be targetted to an IDE that won't directly interact with
> zope in the first place, I just don't get it.

It's a sad Macromedia limitation.  It has nothing to do with Zope or ZPT.
If you name your objects with extensions that DW recognizes, both WebDAV and
FTP will work to access Zope, and DW will open them without question.

> As far as I know, Adobe has
> received quite a lot of complains about this behaviour (ignoring the
> Content-Type and just guess the file type based on the its
> extension name)

Do you mean Macromedia?  Or does GoLive have this same limitation?

> What do you think it's the best solution to use DW4.0.1 on Zope
> (for editing
> ZPT) ?

I've started naming many of my HTML-ish objects with a .html extension for
various reasons, DW ease of use being one of them, but the common ones that
don't have extensions, I just use the workaround above ("open
with...browse").

Ron Bickers
Logic Etc, Inc.