[Zope] steering Zserver startup messages to syslog?

theotiwii@earthlink.net theotiwii@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:17:08 -0700

Marc:

> Does anyone know how to send the output of the 'start' script of Zserver to
> syslog?

I'm running RH 7.1 and grabbed the RPM's from:

	http://www.taupro.com/Downloads/Zope/Zope241

(..Stay with me on this, you might need it to solve your logging
problems...)

Comments in the startup file (/var/zope/zserver.sh) read (please read,
it's important):

# Now that we have fixed syslog.syslog_client to handle RH 6.1's
changes, we
# can use syslogd for logging.  Logging to a remote server using syslogd
can
# be done by using ZSYSLOG_SERVER instead if ZYSLOG.  If you do not
define
# either of the ZSYSLOG* env vars, logging goes to the file specified by
# the -l <file> command argument instead.

# Note: For syslog logging to work from the ZServer/medusa subsystem,
the
# ZSYSLOG variable must now contain the name of the socket to log to,
# usually /dev/log on Unix machines.  JM 19991104.

export ZSYSLOG="/dev/log"
#export ZSYSLOG_SERVER="localhost:514"

THIS IS MY CONTRIBUTION:

Using ZSYSLOG on my RH system resulted in syslog message(s):

	z2[14150]: Startup exception : error: (111, 'Connection refused')

... and ZServer (Zope) failed to start. I traced this down to Medusa
failing to connect to /dev/log, but do not have the expertise to
determine why not (any help out there?).

My resolution was to leave the variable ZSYSLOG _undefined_ and allow
logging to a file, here is the actual startup command:

cd $INSTANCE_HOME
/usr/bin/env python2.1 z2.py            \
	-u      zope                    \
	-z      /usr/share/zope         \
	-Z      /var/run/zwatchdog.pid  \
	-w      8080                    \
	-f      8021                    \
	-m      ''                      \
	-l      /var/log/zope           \
	>>      /var/log/zope 2>&1      \
	&

Note: if ZSYSLOG is defined, the "-l" option above is ignored... Also,
add a "-D" to enable debugging if you want more info from startup:

DISCLAIMER: I've been using ZOPE for, er.. since last night :-/ This
message encompasses my entire knowledge base for Zope and is probably
totally incorrect, useless, and likely to break stuff...

-Ron

PS: I'm not impressed with the ease of installation... I guess it's
designed to weed out the unfit.