[Zope] pcgi, make install: root necessary?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:42:37 +0200

Florian Konnertz writes:
 > I installed zope as user and continued to install pcgi.
 > When I do make install, i get:
 > flo@grooveway:/usr/local/dc/zope/pcgi$ make install
 > ./install-sh -c                                                  -m 755
 >
 >             pcgi-wrapper /usr/local/bin/pcgi-wrapper2.0a5
 > cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/#inst.929#': Permission
 > denied
 > chmod: getting attributes of `/usr/local/bin/#inst.929#': No such file
 > or directory
 > rm: cannot unlink `/usr/local/bin/pcgi-wrapper2.0a5': Permission denied
 > mv: cannot stat `/usr/local/bin/#inst.929#': No such file or directory
 > cp pcgi-wrapper /usr/local/bin
 > cp: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/pcgi-wrapper': Permission
 > denied
 > make: *** [bininstall] Error 1
 >
 > Is it necessary to do  this as root or is it possible to change the
 > permissions in
 > /usr/local/bin ?
That would be one solution.

Another would be to install yourself manually (of course as someone with write
permission on the target directory).

Usually, you can also say where to install.
For the "pcgi_wrapper", it probably need to be accessible from a
standard place or made accessible via a non standard "PATH"
environment variable.

 > Isn't this dangerous to allow a user to write here?
It is. Usually, you will only give trusted users the right to
write into folders with standard binaries.

Dieter