[Zope] Zope critique (was Re: CBSNewYork.com using ZUBB!?!)

Derek Simkowiak dereks@realloc.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:48:07 -0800 (PST)

-> I would like to quickly comment on this days-old email--

	Thank you for the counter-arguments and response.

-> of storing and serving up thousands and thousands of objects (stories,
-> images, etc.). We never had the need nor the desire to dump them onto the
-> filesystem (with the exception of large audio and video files).

	I did not mention, the latest app (which went from Zope + LFS to
Apache) was specifically for large audio and video files.  In fact, it was
a filesharing system for many Gigs of data.  Much of my problem was trying
to get out of the Zope model ("objects") and into the simpler "just pass
me the fscking file with the right Content-Type".  I know that better Zope
filesystem mapping is planned for Zope 3.0.

-> easy to understand, for the most part. Perhaps we just intuitively grasped
-> Zope concepts and architecture.

	As I mentioned, my pre-existing familiarity and experience with
Apache was a large part of the reason that Apache made the easier solution
for me with this latest project.  However, even if it's subjective, that
is a real reason; I didn't have the time to spend surfing through the Zope
codebase, trying to figure out WTF I was supposed to do.  Had there been
more developer documentation (ala httpd.apache.org) I might have stuck
with it.

	Of course, this small project didn't have a budget for Zope Corp.
Perhaps that is the key?  If you have a big project that can afford Zope
Corp.'s expertise, Zope is a great solution; but if you need to build it
in-house, then expect to spend lots of time surfing the Zope source code
(?).

--Derek