[Zope] Zope magazine - The spirit of the community

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:46:59 +0300

Mark Pratt wrote:

> and we provided the facilities for a 3 day Zope 3 sprint and paid for
> Jim Fulton to fly to Berlin to coach this session and give a 2 talks.
>
> that unfortunately wasn't free. but we have no regrets.

I was totally sorry that I was unable to participate, since that would
have been really really great. Seminars are absolutely fabulous thing
and I bet that everyone appreciates them, since these gathering are
also place to share information and learn - but more important also
bond socially with all the people in the community. I would really
have liked to participate...

> in addition we have released free documentation in the past, this ZopeMag
> issue includes a free article, not to mention written Open Source
> software. i find your comment to be very unfair.

> i suggest you make your model work and compete with us who
> can provide a better resource for the community.
>
> what i truly don't understand is why some people within the
> community refuse to recognize that everbody in the community
> makes different types of contributions. we are not forcing
> anybody to do anything but are trying to provide options.
>
> its likely that some of our efforts have brought the community
> new users. isn't that a good thing?
>
> regardless of how you answer that last question. we think
> it is.

Yes. Please let's all stay calm and in good relations, it is not
intented that anyone accuses or points finger at others, since after
all it is for our all benefit that there is a storing community and
companies that work with the community.

There isn't any need to dig trenches or step into defencive behaviour.
My questions and also Trevor's ( as far as I can tell ) were about the
thing that can zopemag succeed in closed format better than in open or
semi open format.

Seb Bacon just sent a good comment:

 >The community is made up of a ragged collection of enthusiasts,
 >geeks, maverick members of IT departments, academics, small
 >businesses and a benevolent dictatorship.  How can we best work
 >together towards a common good is something that interests me
 >greatly.  Those of us who depend on Zope to a massive extent for our
 >livelihod have to create viable business models, but this does not
 >have to create a conflict with the people who are less engaged with
 >the business aspects, for whatever reason.

And I have to raise my hat and clap my hands for Seb writing that.
This is the core of the poodle so to say.

I am interested about the business aspects with Zope, but also about
the thriving community. I write on a mailing list that if Zope corp or
someone else would create a membership based mailing list and some
guarantees for answers etc. I would not mind paying ( especially if
the answers would be after that in public domain).

I would like to support a good magazine that I would be certain that
has something valuable and I would even like to contribute to that
kind of magazine. This was the question that I had in mind while
asking what do behiive plan to pay for writers. For example I would
not mind changing an article for subscription or something similar.
Then it would be like get into the flow by contributing something
yourself.

Of course that is not a businessmodell, since where would the paying
persons come - and what would be my interests to write something new
after I have written one article?

Here comes the semi open concept into use. Paying customers /
contributors per number get allways the newest version into their use,
while old content becomes public domain. This way there could also
start community discussions etc. on the zope mag and from the good
buzz also spring new members to the zope mag etc.

Do not get me wrong. I do want to see that zopemag or similar takes
off really well and I do not mind behiive making money for it. Hell I
love macrosoft and Adobe even though they make hell-of-a-bundle of
money with their products and books etc.

But the common good....Peace and love. To all.

-huima