[Zope] Threadingproblems solved !

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:37:45 +0100

--On 22 April 2002 11:29 +0200 oliver.erlewein@sqs.de wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Finally I solved my threading problems! The answer was as simple as
> asking wether the powerchord was plugged in.

Oliver:

Always good to hear of other people's triumphs over adversity ....
... but a little bit of cross-examination follows:

> I found a passage (after searching a long time) which describes the
> problem:
>
> <<<
> ...There are two sure ways to hang Zope by starting a Stream thread. The
> first is to start Zope with the "-t 1" option, which basically makes it
> use one thread. I can't think of any reason you'd do this, so I won't
> harp on it. The second way is to use Zope profiling (enabled by setting
> the PROFILE_PUBLISHER environment variable before starting Zope)...
>>>>

> There are few references in the internet to this behaviour. This is my
> reason for posting this (otherwise I'd be too ahamed to write such an
> obvious thing *blush*). So maybe there are some more people out there
> that are not aware of this fact. I hope they find this comment ;-)
>
> At this point I'd like to apologise to all the people I've stirred up in
> the last months. Sorry guys it was my fault!! (maybe that's better than
> if I were right all along ;-)

OK. So you unknowningly had PROFILE_PUBLISHER set which, as I understand
it, forces single threading (correct, everyone?).

So now Zope on Solaris (it was Solaris, or did you carry out
your threat to throw those boxes away? ;-> ) now runs to your
satisfaction?

Can you share with us:

* which version of Solaris
* which version of Zope
* which version of Python
* which thread library Python was built with

See the Conclusions onwards bit of

http://www.zope.org/Members/glpb/solaris

for where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/