[Zope] Good realtime chat / whiteboard applications to be used with Zope?

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 19:50:14 +0200

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> why java? most if not all jave clients are unstable and clunky. why not
> just instruct people do download and use a *real* IRC client for their
> platform? ok, you might lose the convenient "user clicks here on the
> intranet and the java client fires up and does the right thing", but how
> important is that compared to all those issues that you will come up
> against, inevitably, with java client, such as::
>
> - instability
> - platform compatibility/browser compatibility

Oh, come on, this is pure FUD.
linux.com had a java irc client for years, and it worked without a hitch
(for me, admittedly I didn't use it soo much). And newer java JREs work
quite well for a while.

I writing that because I see more and more really well working java GUI
applications (eclipse, jedit <- very nice, argo) with _none_ of the
problems you are stating here. And if someone painted recent stability
and browser compability problems with zope (text width, login problems
in IE, thread issues in solaris, pre python 2.1.3 crashes/corruption
etc.) with the same broad brush, I'd object too.

cheers,
oliver