[Zope] Good realtime chat / whiteboard applications to be used with Zope?

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:17:45 +0200

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 10:51:56AM -0400, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> >Questions:
> >- Good and easy to maintain irc-servers?
>
> the bog-standard open source IRC servers that are used all over the
> internet are usually "fire and forget". you configure and start the server
> and it runs and that's the end of it.

Here at Nice University we're using dancer-ircd + dancer-services
which are really easy to install
considering that I'm a real beginner at IRC.

However "securing" it a bit is difficult because of lack of doc.

> >- Good java irc-client?

We also use the Eteria irc java applet which seems to work nice in
browsers (the ones I've tested). Problem is you must install
it on the same server as the irc server since code is not signed.

I'm considering to write some gateway to register users at the irc
server when they are registered on the Zope server, but I've not
begun yet.

FYI we use this solution to allow distant-learning students to provide
feedback to the teachers in real time when doing live audio or video
courses. The dynamically created Zope page fires both the player (Real)
and the irc applet, with irc channel name depending on the course.

Jerome Alet