Detecting double-voting (was [Zope] Zope Community Awards Results)

Ross Boylan RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:14:49 -0700

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:14:24PM -0400, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> you're correct that anonymous voting can never be trusted. that's why any
> product that implements this kind of polling should have mechanisms to
> detect and prevent ballot stuffing by itself. there's several ways to do
> it, like with cookies, or storing IPs, etc
>
> jens

How can storing IPs work?  I dial up and have a different IP each
time.  Someone who uses several machines will have several IP's.

Kind of curious because I'm working on a polling product right now.
Currently I only plan to use it with people identified by email
address and a magic credential I mail out.

I changed the subject since I'm wandering from the original topic.