[Zope] Linux am me ;-) [OT]

Timo Hummel timo.hummel@gmx.net
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:48:20 +0200 (MEST)

I think you are both confused about what a window manager is :)

> >  - Konqueror (no crashes since KDE 3.0)

This is a file manager and not a window manager, the same goes for the rest
of the stuff. A window manager is responsible in an X11 environment for
drawing and managing the window appearance and behaviour. The application itself
is responsible for what is inside of the window. Even if you talk about KDE,
the window manager (called kwin there) is just a part of a Desktop
Environment. XFCE is, in fact, also a kind of stripped-down desktop environment.

> sux

It doesn't suck, it just doesn't meet your requirements and/or doesn't
satify your personal taste.

To start even more flaming at this point of the discussion, I use Windows XP
and Gentoo on my main workstation, plus a thin client which connects to an
old crappy P200 in the edge of my home office. And to be honest (to get a
littlebit on-topic here), if your site only runs on a certain browser, it is
poorly designed. Always think of less eye-candy, but more usability. And to get
back to flaming, www.microsoft.com runs on every browser I know of (even lynx
can be used to browse their site). Too bad they don't use the ALT tag of
images, which would be even nicer for lynx browsing.

Best regards,
Timo

(god, please don't let GMX freemail attach those silly signatures when
replying via web)...

http://www.gmx.net