[Zope] interpreting DTML

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:21:29 +0200

Please stay on the list...

Ryan Lea writes:
 > Second, you say it would be easier to render then highlight, how would
 > you go about doing this?
Rendering means "calling".

Please read "Calling DTML objects" in

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

to learn everything about calling DTML objects.

Other types of objects (e.g. Page Templates) are easier to call/render.

 > What I was trying to do was to insert styled span tags around the part I
 > wanted highlighted, so I would need to do that before it gets rendered.
Why?

   You can add span tags after it has been (Zope) rendered.

 > Is there a better sequence to do this in that will achieve the same
 > result?
 >
 > what I have is a DTML Method called highlight, that is then called in
 > the form "www.site.org/folder/document/highlight". The highlight
 > method read in the source of its parent (the document that needs to
 > have parts  highlighted) then from there I was doing string
 > manipulation to highlight the appropriate parts,...
Try the following (assuming, "document" is a DTML object):

    hightlight (a Python script, similar for an External Method)

      rendered= context(context.aq_parent,container.REQUEST)
      # now do your highlighting on "rendered"
      return rendered

Dieter