[Zope] Zope 2.5.0 and python 2.2.0 on Suse 8.0

Sven Rudolph rudolph@medical-tribune.de
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:35:28 +0200

Hello Jan,

> I have a server with Suse 8.0.
>
> The combination of Zope 2.5.0 and python 2.2.0 causes problems with
> the latest CMFPlone (see http://plone.org/collector/249 )

Allthough zope.org recomends Python-2.1.3 for zope-2.5.x, SuSE's Yast installs Zope-2.5.0 with Python-2.2.0.
I wonder that Zope-2.5.x runs at all.
Deinstalling Python-2.2.0 with Yast and manualy installing Python-2.1.3 from source or *.rpm isn't a solution since Yast will automatically "upgrade" to Python-2.2.0 again to resolve package dependencies the next time you install any package with Yast.
You will have to install Python-2.1.3 manually to a different path with --prefix=/my/new/path.
After this you have to start zope like this:
/my/new/path/bin/python /path_to_zope_installation/z2.py

> On my home server with Debian 3.0 (Zope 2.5.1 / python 2.1.3) I have
> no problems.

Because that's the recomended combination.

> Would you recommend to upgrade Zope to 2.5.1 and to downgrade python
> to 2.1.3?

Definitely, because it's recomended on zope.org. You should also update to Zope-2.5.1, because of some important bugfixes in it.

> And what is the best way to do it on Suse?

Personally, I prefer the following: (but most people wouldn't agree, I'm afraid)
Don't use Yast for any zope installation, do it manually!

First create a new user ("zpoeuser" for example). Of course you can use Yast for this step ;-)

Then log in as "zopeuser".

Type the following commands:
mkdir local
cd local
mkdir bin sbin lib include etc man share info
cd

Now download the packages
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.1.3/Python-2.1.3.tgz
and
http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.5.1/Zope-2.5.1-src.tgz

Unpack Python-2.1.3.tgz to a directory, enter it and type the following commands:
./configure --with-threads --prefix=/home/zopeuser/local
make
make install
Note: You don't need to be root for "make install" since you install it to your home directory.

Unpack Zope-2.5.1-src.tgz to a directory, enter it and type the following commands:
~/local/bin/python wo_pcgi.py

Zope is now build with it's own webserver.
Important: After the script has finished it tells you the admin password. Write it down!

Open z2.py with your favorite editor, and make the necessary changes.
Look at least for the following entrys:
IP_ADDRESS=''
Enter your ip-address here.

HTTP_PORT=
Enter the desired port here.
Note: To run the webserver without root privilges you must enter a port number greater than 1024 (I believe) here.
If you want to use the regular port number for web servers, enter 80 here.
Also note: If you use port 80 you have to be root to start the server.
Also also note: On SuSE-8.0 there is probably already apache running on this port, so zope wouldn't start on port 80. You have to stop apache first. For testing zope I recomend using an unprivileged port (8080 or 9090 for example).

Save z2.py and type the following command:
~/local/bin/python z2.py -D (-D means write debugging information to the console)

The zope server now trys to start.
 If the start fails it will write it's error messages to the console.

Now start your browser and open http://IP_ADDRESS:HTTP_PORT (the ones you entered in z2.py)

I everything went ok you can stop zope and restart it without -D. Zope is now started in the background, so you can close the console you started it from.

Hope I was of any help

Greetings

Sven

P.S. Sorry for my undebugged english.