[Zope] Storing many large objects in many folders

Christoph Schmitz cschm@gmx.de
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:58:28 +0100

Hi,

I need to store many large objects (30+MB video files) in a way that=20
Zope can serve them; plus, these files should be distributed over a=20
large folder tree /mytree/... in my Zope system.=20

We've considered the following options:

- use LocalFS; the problem is that I'd like to avoid having a LocalFS=20
object in every folder of /mytree/..., and I neither want to put all=20
the files into one filesystem directory; so I'd need some solution=20
that automatically maintains the logical structure of /mytree/... in=20
the filesystem directory.

- use BLOBs on a RDBMS; unfortunately, I couldn't get the DBMS=20
connection we are using (DB2 via SQLRelay) to work correctly with=20
BLOBs; I've considered=20
http://www.zope.org/Members/peterb/oracle_lobs, but without success.

Are there any viable alternatives apart from these two? What do other=20
people use when they have to maintain large numbers of large objects?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

--=20
-- Christoph Schmitz <cschm@REMOVEMEgmx.de>