[Zope] Storing many large objects in many folders

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:53:56 +0100

Christoph Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to store many large objects (30+MB video files) in a way that
> Zope can serve them; plus, these files should be distributed over a
> large folder tree /mytree/... in my Zope system.

I really wouldn't do this. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but serving
such big files blocks one of only 4 (per-default) of zopes worker threads.
This means that 4 concurrent downloads make it impossible for someone
else to get to your server, because there are no idle threads left to serve.
Put them on the filesystem, serve them through an external server and
just store the metadata (including the path to the file) in the ZODB.
There is a product called mmmanager (or something) which does something
similar IIRC like you seem to want.

cheers,
oliver