[Zope] Strange behavior with FTP multi-homing.. not!

JF jpython@kioza.net
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:05:14 -0500

Hello,

I have this problem with FTP that maybe someone can help me with..

I have a multi-homed Zope v2.5 site on Redhat v6.0, and I've made the
root non-anonymous so customers that logged-in via FTP does not see
others-account-website directory.

Since FTP does not seems hooked-up to use VirtualHostMonster, everybody
must pass by the root and then cd into-their-own-directory.

When I FTP-in I have this weird behavior that I cannot explain myself..

the first time I go:

ftp> cd /MySite

I get:

550 No such directory.

then the second time:

ftp> cd /MySite
250 CWD command successful.

then I go:

ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,11,15,135)
550 Could not list directory.

and the second time I pass the command it works!!

ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,11,15,136)
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
d---------   1 Zope     Zope            0 Feb  4 22:33 ..

This baffles-me.. every second command passes but the first fails. Where
is the state machine that makes a command not pass throu the same path
two times in a row?

Anybody would tell-me where to look for?

The exact internal error seems to be 503 instead of the advertised 550
one.

I'm using LoginManager for acl-users and it seems the first command does
not hit my acl-users at all but the second does.

oh well, if I define my ftp roles for every domain on the top folder, it
seems to resolve the problem.. but then it gives-me a security tabs page
of 1MBytes to manage all over the place.. so, I would prefer to use
local roles. for sure..

Also in the same vein, while I'm at it..

I have another problem with my setup..

let say I have:

/
  site1
     www
  site2
     www

With my virtual hosts pointing to the www level.

Customers can go like: www.site1.com/site2/www and they kind of "can"
the other's customer's site!! How can I block "inheritance" in this
case?

Thanks very much for any comments, suggestions..

JF
jf@kioza.net