[Zope] dir in Extensions

John Hunter jdhunter@ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:14:27 -0600

    Thomas> [Tim Hicks]
    >> > Is it possible to create subdirectories of Zope/Extensions/
    >> and use > the dir.file syntax to access their contents?
    >>
    >> As far as I remember, it is not possible to import modules from
    >> the Extensions directory (or any of its children I presume).
    >> You need to put the modules somewhere else appropriate.  I use
    >> lib/python/Shared/<My
    Thomas> Chosen
    >> Folder Name>/module.py
    >>

    Thomas> You do have to make sure they are on the python path used
    Thomas> by your zope python interpreter.  One way is to put the
    Thomas> location into a .pth file.  This has come up a few times
    Thomas> on the list.

I am still having trouble; perhaps someone can advise.

/usr/local/Zope is my Zope install
/usr/local/lib/python is the python dir used by Zope

I put the directory ' SomeDir' and its contents in
/usr/local/Zope/lib/python/Shared/..  I put SomeDir.pth in
/usr/local/lib/python/site-packages/ and it has a single line which
reads:

/usr/local/Zope/lib/python/Shared

As root (same shell that I use to start Zope), I can in a python shell

>>> import SomeDir.SomeFile

I restarted zope and reloaded my web browser.  I created an external
method in zope and use the module name SomeDir.SomeFile where
SomeFile.py resides in /usr/local/Zope/lib/python/Shared/SomeDir/, but
I still get the Zope error:

  The specified module, SomeDir.SomeFile, couldn't be found

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
John Hunter