[Zope] Emacs and WebDav (was Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editors and Zope?)

ra@burningman.com ra@burningman.com
Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:08:29 -0800

> Alastair Burt <burt@dfki.de> writes:
>
>>Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> writes:
>>
>>>PS: Anyone done a WebDAV thingy for EMACS yet?
>>>
>>William Perry, who wrote the w3 browser, sent me some alpha code
>>that makes Emacs talk WebDAV natively but I have not really tried it
>>in anger yet.
>>
>>It should be fairly easy to get Emacs to use cadaver to read and
>>write files. But what functionality would it bring you over ftp?
>>Locking?

Well, for one, it would simplify security... WebDav happens on a single
port, so is easier to allow through firewalls and to tunnel when necessary.

Also, although I'm not sure about this, it seems as though WebDav might
be able to play well with Version objects better than FTP.  It'd be nice
to be able to use Emacs to edit within a version.  There is a
VersionFTPServer hack, and a clever one at that, but you have to set up
a different port for each version that you want to expose, and it hasn't
been updated since Zope 2.2.

-r