[Zope] newbie question: restart zope remotely?

Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:39:57 +0100

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:56:04AM +0100, Frank Tegtmeyer wrote:
> "Robert Hood, Ph.D." <rhood@mtsu.edu> writes:
>
> > console to restart zope (version 2.5, windows).  In the past zope has
> > come right back up, no problem.  But not this time.  So I'm not
> > geographically near my server, and was wondering if I can run a script
> > to restart remotely?
>
> That's one of the reasons not to use Windows for server tasks.
>
> In case the machine still runs it would be possible to solve the
> situation using a remote control program like VNC
> (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/). Still this has some security
> implications because VNC itself doesn't have encrypted communication
> builtin.

You can install a sshd for Windows NT / Windows 2000 (there are some
commercial sshd servers available). Then you can connect through ssh to
the box and run the start.bat script (or do other things from the
commandline like stopping and starting services etc. Contrary to popular
belief, Windows Nt *IS* manageable from the commandline! ";-)

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen    reinoud.v@n.leeuwen.net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud