[Zope] load testing for zope server..

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:01:41 -0500

OpenSTA (http://www.opensta.org) is a load modeling and generation tool
that will allow you to at least roughly simulate the kind of behavior
you predict against a Zope (or a few load-balanced Zopes).  There's no
really good common metric for sharing performance numbers. "Hits per
second" is sorta useless because one person's "hit" might be serving up
100 bytes of static content, and another person's "hit" might be serving
up 4MB of dynamically generated content).  One reasonable way to do this
sort of testing is to come up with a reasonable expectation of response
time.  Then you can make the claim "on platform 'P' under configuration
'C' placed under load 'L',  method 'M' will never take longer than 'N'
seconds."  Then set up configuration 'C' on platform 'P', model load 'L'
using OpenSTA and hit the server with it, and make sure that while it's
loaded up, make sure method 'M' never takes more than 'N' seconds with
something like "ab" or a custom bit of Python.

I can tell you right away, you want more RAM.  ;-)  It's cheap and
speeds things up.