[Zope] documentation of Zope 3.0

Stephan Richter srichter@cbu.edu
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 06:18:02 -0600

Dear Sree and everyone else,

these are two essential questions, and the answer is not necessarily a one
liner. So I will try to answer your question as good as I can.

>I am looking for specification document for zope 3.0. are there any web
>links available for the same?

Okay, there is a good amount of documentation at
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage.
There you can find a lot of the design decisions and proposals.
Furthermore, I will try to start making better documentation available,
specifically in the form of UML diagrams.

>When will zope 3.0 be released?

Well, this is probably the hardest question of all. The answer is: It
depends. Zope 3 will be a community effort and not a Zope Corporation one.
That means the more people help developing the product the earlier it will
be out. I really hope that we will have some sort of first beta (Zope 2
incompatible version) in the summer.

So let me use this E-mail to call out to the entire Zope community for
people willing to help developing Zope 3. And no, we do not jsut need
programmers, but also Information Architects and Graphic Designers, which
can help us to redesign the ZMI.

How to get started?

1. Sign up to the mailing lists: zope3-dev, zope-checkins, zope-coders
2. Get CVS write access from Zope Corporation.
3. Decide what you want to work on.
4. Find a "coach", who will help you out in the beginning. Actually the
best would be to participate in a sprint, but I understand, that you cannot
always do that, so find someone who is already an active Zope 3 developer.

The Sprint schedule is at
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/SprintSchedule.
Additional to Jim's dates listed in this Wiki, I could also give a sprint
early March during my Spring break.

Regards,
Stephan

--