[Zope] future direction (was "problems with SiteRoot in Zope2.5.1")

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:52:52 -0700

Technically, no, you don't have a right to complain but you do have a very
good point. I'd like to echo it and point out the problem is exacerbated by
zope.org not having a strong way of marking docs and products as deprecated.
I hate finding a cool product, downloading and installing, only to learn it
fell out of fashion with 2.something. Ideally, such pages should be marked
and linked to whatever is the latest greatest substitute or just marked as
dead to Zopes 2.x+

I keep coming back to that scene in Apocalypse Now:

"Who's in charge here, soldier?"
"Ain't you?"

http://www.rickmcginnis.com/movies/apocalypsenowredux.htm

Granted, that's not a great metaphor for Zope but I do have that feeling
with free software pretty often.

FWIW, commercial development tools are often no better.