[Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...

Andreas Jung andreas@andreas-jung.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:47:40 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Simkowiak" <dereks@realloc.net>
To: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter@handshake.de>
Cc: "Zope" <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 18:27
Subject: Re: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...

> -> After you did the above, you will be in an excellent position to
> -> write this HowTo.
>
> Good grief.
>
> Why are you arguing that the Zope developer(s) -- who are already
> familiar with all the issues and the current Zope WebDAV status --
> shouldn't take an hour to do a brain dump into a mini-HOWTO and publish it
> on the Zope.org website?
>
> I think the value in such a document is obvious.  I'm a bit
> disappointed (and worried for Zope) that there is so much push-back
> against such a small amount of documentation.

You can not expect to have a How-To for every purpose - neither for Zope
nor for other systems. The Zope community is usally very helpful in solving
problems. Because this particular problem has been solved and discussed
I feel free to point you to the former discussions. All of our time is
limited -
and instead of repeating the same stuff over and over again it is legitimate
from my view to answer your question in the way I have done it.

> As somebody who does contract work, I can tell you that if a
> customer asked *MY* company for a single page of documentation, and I told
> them to simply spend a day or two browsing through old emails, they'd
> quickly switch to another vendor.

See above. You will never find a complete documentation. The discussion
is limited to some thread and you can easily find and walk through them
within 15 minutes or so.

> (And I really don't need a lecture about the value of the
> contributing to the community.  I simply prefer to spend my time
> contributing to projects where my expertise is useful.)

The same here. Writing an How-to would take me about one hour or so but
it took me only some minutes to show you the way to the resources
that  you are looking for.

Andreas