[Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
08 Mar 2002 10:51:06 +0000

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 23:27, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> -> After you did the above, you will be in an excellent position to
> -> write this HowTo.
>
> 	Good grief.
>
> 	Why are you arguing that the Zope developer(s) -- who are already
> familiar with all the issues and the current Zope WebDAV status --
> shouldn't take an hour to do a brain dump into a mini-HOWTO and publish it
> on the Zope.org website?

> 	I think the value in such a document is obvious.  I'm a bit
> disappointed (and worried for Zope) that there is so much push-back
> against such a small amount of documentation.

Of course it would be valuable.  No-one's arguing anything.  There's no
push-back.  It's just that the people doing the development from which
you stand to benefit happen to have a different set of priorities from
you.  Isn't that their prerogative?

> 	As somebody who does contract work, I can tell you that if a
> customer asked *MY* company for a single page of documentation, and I told
> them to simply spend a day or two browsing through old emails, they'd
> quickly switch to another vendor.

There is an enormous difference here: *YOU* get paid by customers to do
the things which they ask you to do.  Are *YOU* going to pay someone to
write up the HOWTO?

You just can't expect Zope as a free application to follow the laws of
the proprietary software market, much as we'd all like to see Zope
overtake PortalSiteServer 4.6 or whatever.

seb