[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 01:07:28 +0100

From: "Oleg Broytmann" <phd@phd.pp.ru>
>    I don't. During my life I saw it many times - beginner sysdmins do
> configure-make a lot. Experienced (and busy) sysadmins use ready-made
> packages - RPM/DEB/PKG on Linux (and Solaris), ports on *BSD.

This is quite simply, complete and utter bullshit. Sorry.

>    But Zope is not easy to install. I must:
>
> 1. Recompile python with threads and all neccessary modules.

Well, didn't you have a beloved RPM for that? RPM's are supposed to fix
everything, right?

> 2. Install MySQL, MySQLdb and ZMySQLDA (or Postgres and its DA).

No, you don't need to install this.

> 5. Setup Data.fs (import Products and ZClasses, configure, etc).
> 6. Modify Apache's config (to make it connect to Zope).
>
>    Ready-made binary packages with all interdependencies make it MUCH
> simpler and faster.

These two last things can not be done by any RPM. You will have to do that
manually, no matter what.

Yes, Zope is too hard to get started with. That is quite true. That there
are no RPM's are not a part of that problem.