[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:07:32 +0100

From: "Ron Arts" <raarts@netland.nl>
> 1. I am a fulltime unix administrator since 1993, call me experienced.
> 2. I am very busy.
> 3. I *highly* prefer RPM over './configure;make;make install'

> So there is at least 1 experienced and busy sysadmin in the world
> that uses RPM. So it cannot be _complete_ and _utter_ bullshit.
> Maybe it's _incomplete_ and _almost utter_ bullshit.

Well, experienced, you are welcome to quote the phrase where I said that
there are no experienced unix sysadmins that prefer RPMs.

> Let me quote from the zope book:
>
>  > MySQL
>  > MySQL is a fast open source relational database. You can find more
information about MySQL at
>  > the MySQL web site. The MySQL DA is maintained by Zope community member
Monty Taylor.

This is all correct. You are now welcome to explain to me exactly where in
the above sentences it sais that installing mySQL is a prerequisite for
installing Zope.

>  >>5. Setup Data.fs (import Products and ZClasses, configure, etc).
>  >>6. Modify Apache's config (to make it connect to Zope).
>  >
>  >These two last things can not be done by any RPM. You will have to do
that
>  >manually, no matter what.
>
> 'Not be done by any RPM?' You obviously know little about what RPM's
> can and cannot do.

Ah, sorry, I didn't know RPM's could read your mind, make an informed guess
on what port you want your zope zerver to run on, set up your apache
configuration so that the correct domain name (which the RPM reads from the
notes in your wallet) is proxied to your zope installation and then design
and install the webpage for you.

Since this obviously is the case, I retract everything I have said in this
thread. There should be an RPM for Zope. It could create the verisoning
system we want for EasyPublisher for me. We did outline it on the whiteboard
last week, so it would be no problem for the RPM to implement it.

No, seriously, you can't have an RPM configure the Data,fs and install the
correct products for you.
If you with point 5 above mean the thing Zope does everytime it's started
without a Data.fs, it seems rather useless to have the RPM do that, don't
you think?

And no, it can't do point 6, unless the RPM magically know exactly which
domain names you are going to use and exactly which zope paths you want
these proxied to.

> Please be informed in your answers, and don't try to put down others.

I am informed, and I do try not to put down others. Sometimes I find this
last part extremely difficult.