[Zope] Documentation via this list was.. Pay or DIO (Re: Quality vs. Quantity )

Tim Cook tim@freepm.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:22:55 -0600

iap@y2fun.com wrote:

> Of course the side effect is that maybe people will start to
> expect Dieter to answer all of the questions. It's against the spirit
> of "mutual help" of Open Source. The opposite side is that peole
> could also too much rely on the others and didn't try to help themselves.
> Paradox isn't it?
> It could also be nice if someone got the answer from
> this maillist can contribute to this community again
> by posting the revised question-answer pair under his/her context.

Here's a suggestion that I see works well on another list
(linuxmanagers) that is the same or very similar to what you
suggested.

The questions are posted to the list.
ALL responses are sent only to the original person asking the
question.  That person is tasked with sending a reply where the
subject line is prefaced with the word "SUMMARY".  This summary
contains a concise list of the responses received and which one(s)
were attempted and the results of those attempts.

This procedure:
1. cuts down on list traffic
2. puts responsibility on the person asking the question to
contribute back better detailed results
3. creates a very useful archive

Disadvantages:
1. May inhibit productive discussion?