[Zope] Documentation via this list was.. Pay or DIO (Re: Quality vs. Quantity )

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:29:28 -0000

--On 11 March 2002 00:22 -0600 Tim Cook <twcook@iswt.com> wrote:

> Here's a suggestion that I see works well on another list
> (linuxmanagers) that is the same or very similar to what you
> suggested.
>
> The questions are posted to the list.
> ALL responses are sent only to the original person asking the
> question.  That person is tasked with sending a reply where the
> subject line is prefaced with the word "SUMMARY".  This summary
> contains a concise list of the responses received and which one(s)
> were attempted and the results of those attempts.

I think this is an excellent proposal.

> This procedure:
> 1. cuts down on list traffic
> 2. puts responsibility on the person asking the question to
> contribute back better detailed results
> 3. creates a very useful archive
>
> Disadvantages:
> 1. May inhibit productive discussion?
  2. Risk loosing pearls of wisdom if summary of off-line response
     not forthcoming
  3. Requires discipline early on - perhaps people indicating that
     they will follow the protocol should put something like

     WILL SUMMARISE

     in the Subject line

The list archives should end up showing a one-to-one correspondence
of SUMMARY and WILL SUMMARISE messages and we'll all live happily
ever after ;-) Dangling WILL SUMMARISE messages will haunt the
original poster for the rest of time .....

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/