[Zope] Re: What causes the community to stall so often?

Harry Wilkinson harryw@nipltd.com
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:45:51 +0000

On Sunday 10 March 2002 9:43 pm, Terry Hancock wrote:
> And ZPT is completely different, doesn't work
> in all the same places, and is (IMHO) ridiculously
> cumbersome and non-intuitive.  Maybe I haven't
> given it a fair review yet, but the reality is, I
> just don't have time for it. Certainly it is not
> a natural extension to DTML, nor a replacement for
> it.
ZPT + Python = goodbye and good riddance to dtml, for me at least.  Now the
only DTML I write (except maintenence of old code) is in file system ZSQL
methods, where there is really no alternative (AFAIK).

>             (e.g. why not represent
>             "sequence" as a Python class with "item", "index"
>             attributes and/or "odd()" "even()" methods).

Hmm, this sounds familiar.... how well did you look at ZPT exactly?

>             (for example), instead of the ridiculous
>             work-around:
>
>             _.getitem('sequence-item').absolute_url()

Not pretty, is it?  Glad I don't use DTML any more.  ZPT is nice and clean.

> Zope is a good thing already. It doesn't need more
> junk. What it needs is a whole lot of straightening up.

If you ask me (and you didn't but I'm telling you anyway), ZPT *is* a part of
straightening it up.  I never liked DTML from the moment I started using it,
it was too easy to write messy code.  I had all the same problems I've had
with ASP.  I am eternally thankful for the day ZPT was pointed out to me.  I
know many people out there like to use DTML because it's what they're used
to, and some of them don't abuse it and write spaghetti code with it, but
then what they're doing could probably be directly ported to ZPT if they're
seperating out their presentation and application logic properly.  I don't
see a reason to use DTML except for familiarity, and it's not exactly hard to
get familiar with ZPT.

Harry