[Zope] Zope 2.5.1 installation problems (zope dumping core)

Malcolm E Davis malcolm.davis@bms.com
Thu, 09 May 2002 10:19:38 -0400

I have downloaded Zope 2.5.1 both as the source distribution and
as the linux distribution.  I have installed the source
distribution onto an SGI running IRIX 6.5 (running python2
w_pcgi.py and then start) and installed the linux distribution
onto a Linux box running RedHat 6.2 (running the install script
and then start).  In both cases, I can connect to
http://hostname:8080/, login with the initial admin account, and
get the initial index page with no difficulty.  However, if I
select the link to the Zope Management Interface, I get the three
frames, but only the top one fills with anything.  I get two
"Document contains no data" dialogs.  When I check the server it
has dumped core and the shell window indicates that the server
has restarted.  No error messages are apparent in either the
shell window or the var/Z2.log file.

Since I have exactly the same problem in two completely different
installs, but can find no similar complaints in the mail
archives, I suspect I am doing some so completely newbie mistake
that no one even mentions it.  However, I am clearly stumped and
would appreciate some help.

As an additional data point, I actually tried the Zope 2.5.0
install on the SGI box as well.  I had a similar problem,
although then I did get the lower right frame and could perform
some of the tasks.  However, I wasn't able to get it to add the
Zope Tutorial.  Again the symptoms on the server side were core
dumps with no apparent error messages in the logs.

Finally, just for the record, I have tested this with Netscape
4.79 on the SGI, as well as Netscape 4.72 and 6.2 under Windows
NT.  Same problem with each.  So it does not appear to be a
browser problem.  (Actually if some browser problem could crash
the server, that would be rather scary anyway.)

Thanks,
Malcolm