[Zope] URGENT -Version Blow-Up

Dan Shafer pydan@danshafer.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 17:24:45 -0700

I have managed to get myself into a gnarly position from which I cannot
find an escape route. The site I'm building is currently absolutely
unusable as a result.

I was making extensive changes to a page, so I created a version (called
"adding scripts" -- notice the space, which I think may be a culprit here).
I started using the version, made the changes to the page in question,
saved changes, tested the page and, after a few more tweaks, got it where I
wanted it.

So I went to the version page figuring I'd commit the changes. It said
there were no unsaved changes. I stopped using the version and when I went
back to the ZMI, the changed page had a version lock on it and there was no
unlocked/original version of the page showing up. That's when I noticed
that even though I had quit using the version in question, the page still
showed that I was using it.That's also when I noticed that the top of the
page that showed what version I was using called the version simply
"adding" rather than "adding scripts." After several more start using -
stop using sequences, I could not get out of this morass.

I restarted the Zope server. No effect.

I quit using the version and deleted the version object. I know, bad move,
but I did not receive a warning from Zope about this. It just happily
deleted the version, an action which I later found out was undoable.

So now Zope thinks I am working in a non-existent version and it won't let
me use the site past a certain point (even though the process I'm testing
with doesn't even use the changed page). I get a version lock error.

This is clearly a Catch-22. Is there any way out of this? This is the first
thing I've run into in the ZMI that seems to me just not to work very well
or to be documented clearly or something. I've used versions in the past
successfully, and this just has me bewildered. And my client very angry.