[Zope] Some questions regarding Zope hosting

Wed, 29 May 2002 12:49:38 -0700

To do production Zope hosting right, I'd strongly suggest Squid.  Here's 4
things you can't do with ZServer alone:

Want security? Use Squid, access lists, and a redirector (URL rewriter).
Squid also handles various sorts of DoS and malformed HTTP request without
issue.
Want virtual hosting? Use Squid, a redirector, and a Virtual Host Monster.
Want page caching?  Use Squid and Zope's HTTP cache manager.
Want load-balancing of multiple ZEO servers? Use Squid and Toby's ICP
ZServer patches.

Apache/mod_proxy will do the first 3 on that list just fine as well.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Allison [mailto:allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 10:20 AM
To: Toby Dickenson
Cc: Juergen R. Plasser / Hexagon; zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Some questions regarding Zope hosting

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 4:57 pm, Juergen R. Plasser / Hexagon wrote:
>
> > 2. Which configuration is the "best":
>
> > Zope's Webserver Medusa alone
>
> Very bad if you are exposing this to the internet.

Jurgen --

Can you explain why using only Medusa/Zserver is "very bad"?  I was under
the impression that the usual Apache approach simply delegates to the Zope
native webserver without doing much of anything except eating machine
cycles.  I always thought the Apache/Medusa combination was used to allow
for non-Zope stuff (cgi, etc) to work.

-dra