[Zope] Easy my *$%&#@$%!

Max M maxm@mxm.dk
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:53:46 +0200

John Schinnerer wrote:

>Aloha,
>
>Be honest now - how many of you saying "python is really easy to learn"
>or equivalent here recently would have said that when you first started
>using it?

Me ... certainly!

>I'm not a newbie to programming, and I find python quite cryptic and
>confusing, especially all those mysterious underscores and 'self' and
>'context' and mandatory indentation and so on and on.  And then there's
>trying to understand and use it in/with Zope.

The only thing cryptic and confusing here is the Zope part ;-)

Zope is a great idea, but rather poorly executed from an architectural
pow that is. The code in Zope is mostly well written though.

But considdering that this is the first attempt of anybody writing
something like this, i believe that it is indeed a very good first
attempt. But I believe that the Zope guys has realised that when writing
an open source project like this, it is as much about communication as
writing software.

So the new Zope 3.0 will be more self documenting and easier to
integrate with.

It will be more like Python. More verbose but more explicit too. I am
following the development on the sidelines and it looks great.

Meanwhile just keep on using Zope 2.x as most of what you learn there
can be used in Zope 3

regards Max M