[Zope] New to zope

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:25:45 -0700

> On Tuesday 08 October 2002 12:50 pm, Shad Young wrote:
> > I am a bit jargon challenged when it come to Zope and Python. Could you
> > please clarify ZPT?

Zope Page Templates, also known as Page Templates. It's a more recent
alternative to DTML; quite different, with some advantages (and arguably
disadvantages).  You'll also see reference to TAL, TALES, and METAL which
are what the Page Templates language is constructed from.
(roughly:  TAL= Template Attribute Language, kinda generic;
TALES = TAL Expression SYntax, specific to ZPT I think;
and METAL = ... er... I forget. It's the macro language you can use
in ZPT.)

> > What would be the series and order of how-tos (that work) I should read to
> > get myself up to speed without having to spend a year trying to plod
> > through all this on my own? Because, so far, the reading I have done on my
> > own, and the examples contained there-in, do not work. Some even have basic
> > coding errors like missing (') in the example snippets. *boggle*

The online version of the Zope Book should be pretty up-to-date. It
includes lots of examples, and the material is presented in
a pretty sensible progression.

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/index_html

Any errors in the text can and should be reported
immediately via the "talkback" feature of the online version; these
comments periodically get folded in to the main text.
I personally can't vouch for the correctness of every code example, but
they're a lot more likely to be updated than the average HOWTO
on zope.org - many of which are good, but many of which have
not aged well.

--

Paul Winkler
"Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"