[Zope] RE: CSV (Was: Perl scripts)

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:15:22 +0200

Hi,

--On Montag, 21. Oktober 2002 10:11 +0200 Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Warnes, Gregory R wrote:
>
>> I regularly use a Perl script called from Zope to do the opposite
>> conversion: *from* xls *to* csv.   Initially, I used this code in an
>> external python script,
> This is the way I decided to go now: Use an External Python Script to
> call a Perl Script in local file system.  I've thought I misunderstood
> something in the documentation that I could Perl directly in an External
> Script without wrapping it in Python.  (Perhaps the hint of Andy McKay
> will enlighten me once www.zope.org is available again ...)

Still, if you want to _create_ csv from database, you sure dont need
perl. Remember the overhead of calling a foreign interpreter
just for generation of a text string which could be done in python
easyly, without even requiring external methods. You only have to
analyze the output of your perl script and make your python method
output the same. This schould not be so hard.

Regards
Tino