[Zope] Zope feature freeze project ??

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 05:19:23 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Juli=E1n Mu=F1oz wrote:

> Feature adds means a lack of compatibility with the "mass" of products
> installed on your working platform, which means moving all this products
> to follow the fast developping speed of Zope...
With zope 2.5 I have not had any of my zope 2.4 products break and there
where new features added. New features does not mean that things break.

>But, how many time do you
> need the new features ? When you have developped the platform the first
> time, you did a great work, and now you only want to keep it alive at a
> low cost.

Often our customers ask for more things over time so it is easier to just
continue to develop our python products to give more functionality and
when they need new features that we have developed we test it with our
newest python products and zope combination and if everything works we
upgrade to that. We have not had any problems doing that.

> Bug Fixes mean that you will not stay for hours and days investigating wh=
> something is failling, and avoiding the cracking of the sysem. So you nee=
> it.

Yes we definitely need bug fixes.

> There is an alternative way, which is the development of a Zope
> with feature freeze, and only bug fixes. And I think it is surely more
> economic and secure than updating all the products.

Overall I would agree there should be a feature freeze x weeks before a
new version is released and after that point only bug fixes would be
allowed in.

> Well, in my case I am with Zope 2.4.4b2, and I don't want to upgrade to
> Zope 2.5. I still remembre when I started the developpment with 2.4,
> almost none of the Zope 2.3 products worked !!!

Why don't you want to upgrade to zope 2.5.1? It has a lot of fixes and it
is the most stable release I have used so far. However why not test what
you have with zope 2.5.1 and see if it all works? It is trivial to upgrade
zope so I dont' really see a problem. Also if you work with python
products instead of zclasses and take the time to design them it should
take a few minutes at most to resolve changed to a new version of zope if
that. You do design your python products right? I mean how can you be
upset with maintenance if you did not design stuff very well to begin
with.

> 2) People with the same needs.
My needs are that they document what stuff breaks backwards compat and
that I can modify my python product so it will still load the data. If zope=
 3.x
breaks my product and I have to fix it up that does not really bother me
since it shouldn't take me then 5-10 hours to fix it back up however it
needs to be possible to fix it back up becuase I can not lose data
compatibility otherwise I will have to stay with older versions of zope.

> 3) Tell and explain me why I am wrong.

Already covered and I agree with some of what you say.

> Thanks :-)
np :)

Designing and building web applications http://webme-eng.com