[Zope] Changing REQUEST in a javascript

Dag Nygren dag@newtech.fi
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:53:51 +0300

> [om: Dag Nygren]
> =

> > I now finally figured out the parameter-passing stuff
> > and ran into a new problem:
> > I need to change the REQUEST on the client, presumably
> > in a javascript
> > =

> > Can this be done and How ?
> > =

> =

> There is no such thing.  The browser client has form data that it
> submits, and the Zope REQUEST object ends up containing the form data.
> The client knows nothing about Zope objects.
> =

> Tell us what you really want to accomplish and we will help you work ou=
> how to do it.

Yes, of course, sorry for the a bit naive question. I am new to Zope and
Phyton and had difficulties getting the right picture in my mind about
what is going on here.
Additionally the  Zope way of  "inheriting"  the REQUEST  object =

confused me.

The original problem was creating a mutiselect form where select#1
changed the alternatives of Select#2.
I also did not want the URL to show the parameters.

I now figured out that I can use an ONCHANGE=3Ddocument.submit() for
Select#1 to make the same formpage repeat itself with the changed
Select#2 attributes.
Additionally I think (haven't tested yet) that I can submit and alternati=
ve
attribute in the "real" formsubmit and check for that with <dtml-if> in t=
he =

form and then do the intended insert into a database.

Please tell me if there is something fundamentally wrong with this  way
of thinking and if there are easier ways of doing this.

Thanks for the answers so far, preserves my fate in the OpenSource commun=
ity !!

-- =

Dag Nygren                               email: dag@newtech.fi
Oy Espoon NewTech Ab                     phone: +358 9 8024910
Tr=E4sktorpet 3                              fax: +358 9 8024916
02360 ESBO                              Mobile: +358 400 426312
FINLAND