[Zope] url growth

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:12:02 -0700

For me, it was ignorance. absolute_url is not covered as being terribly
important in the Zope Book. It isn't mentioned till page 63, and then it
only figures in an example of how it iterate over folder contents.

Old sites are chock full of stuff like image.gif and file.html. Users are,
obviously, going to balk at using that syntax when href="thing.gif" seems to
work just fine.

To put it another way: absolute_url doesn't make sense till you get the
hierarchy-of-objects brain flash. As long as it seems like a webserver, the
idea of asking an item what it would like to be called is pretty odd. The
docs (IMHO) push how-to, not how-to-think. Without addressing the mental
model required to understand Zope, the leap can be slow in coming.

Not that I'm complaining about the docs. I'm very grateful to have them. I
just think they aren't quite focused right for introducing experienced
webheads to the Zope model.