[Zope] url growth

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:21:34 +0200

AM writes:
 > As I have read on this list time and again, the absolute_url() is a far
 > better choice than relative urls.
 >
 > What do relative URLs have over the absolute_url() that makes a lot of
 > people keep using it especially if you are not importing a site created
 > by some other software??
I some cases, one needs relative URLs (when you play with acquisition)
because "absolute_url" destroys the acquisition context.

A prominent example is a multi-lingual Web site of my former employer.
He used common content (localized via translation catalogs)
that were accessed via a language folders:

     CommonContent/
     DE/
     EN/
     FR/

The language folders defined properties that controlled the translation
catalogs. URL's had the form

	  LANGUAGE/CommonContent/...

Of couse, "absolute_url" would remove the language context...

Dieter