[Zope] ProxyPass weirdness with Plone

Dylan Reinhardt zope@dylanreinhardt.com
20 Apr 2003 08:34:15 -0700

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 23:46, Des Dougan wrote:
> Dylan Reinhardt wrote:
> >
> > RewriteEngine on
> > RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/
> > hudson.DouganConsulting.com/path/to/plone_root/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
> >
> > Where everything between RewriteRule and [L,P] should be on one line, no
> > space between http/ and hudson.
>
> I've created a RewriteRule successfully, and tested it. I found that I
> get the same problem as originally noted. I am assuming that it is
> because I had not specified a folder below the Zope root, so I have
> created one in ZMI, which correctly displays (after updating the
> rewrite, of course).

So far so good.

>  However, I haven't got as far as testing the login
> problem, as I need to figure out which objects from the Zope root I need
> to populate my folder with so that I get the Plone menus. A project for
> tomorrow!

I'm not sure what that would be, aside from making sure that the CMF- &
Plone-related products are actually installed.

> I assume that creating a VHM mapping (I'm using
> SiteAccessEnhanced) could take the place of the RewriteRule in
> httpd.conf (assuming I've read the docs correctly)?

Yes and no.

If you're running Zope on port 80 with nothing in front of it, VHM
mappings can approximate the virtual hosting behavior of Apache.  I'd
only recommend this for small scale systems that aren't hosting
sensitive or critical data.

If Apache on 80 is a given in your environment, it all but certain that
you'll want to use Apache RewriteRule or ProxyPass directives instead of
VHM mappings.  Just to be clear, you'll want a VHM object installed
either way.

HTH,

Dylan