[Zope] My first question.

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Dec 3 12:39:11 EST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:01:08AM -0700, Goldthwaite, Joe wrote:
> My first question got lost in all the discussion of the second.  I'm going
> to repost it in hopes of getting lucky.
>

> In order to keep my table headers consistent across reports, I have them
> stored as a separate DTML method called IS_Ptd_Header.  In my main Income
> Statement, I have this where I want the table header to show up;

> This works fine.  The problem I've run into is when I want to use tal tags
> in the IS_Ptd_header like this;
>
> Income Statement for period <span tal:replace="request/Per">Period</span>
>
> If I have this line in the Income Statement ZPT it works. I get the "Per"
> parameter from the URL. When the same line in IS_Ptd_Header gets ignored
> so the resulting page shows "Income Statement for period Period".  I
> thought that maybe the tal tags were being ignored because IS_Ptd_Header
> is a DTML method

Correct. DTML and ZPT are completely different.

> so I created a ZPT with the name IS_YTD_Header and used
> that in the tal replace command but the result came back as HTML quoted
> text instead of the actual HTML. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Yes. Output of tal statements is normally html quoted. You probably
left out the "structure" directive:

> It doesn't look like ZPT is designed to work this way.  For my footer,
> (for now) I just have the </table> tag to finish my table. The ZPT
> gives me a mismatched tag error.

Right. Each Page TEmplate is normally required to be valid XML.
You *can* disable this.  I forget how because I never do it :-)
But it's in the zope book, first Page TEmplates chapter.

> What's the best way to modularize
> the web pages?

METAL.
See zope book, Advanced Page Templates chapter.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com