[Zope] ANN: Epoz 0.7.2 released - ready for Plone 2

Mark Barratt markb at textmatters.com
Sun Dec 7 15:44:47 EST 2003

Maik Jablonski wrote:
[snip]
> What is changed in 0.7.2?
[snip]
>      - fixed bug: Stefanie Panke noticed encoding problems
>        when using the Euro-Sign. Switched all default
>        encodings from ISO-8859-1 to more universal windows-1252.
>        Thanks, Stefanie!

Isn't windows-1252 the worst possible choice for character set and
encoding? Apache by default is ISO-8859-1, which is at least a standard,
but still excludes most of the world. Most clients now support some
subset of Unicode, and UTF-8 to encode it in.

As far as I know, Microsoft only supports 1252 as legacy (alongside
8859-1!). The corporation says 'You are not World-Ready if your
application is not fully Unicode-enabled'.
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/getwr/nwr/nwrpartI.mspx

Is there some reason for not supporting UTF-8?

best

Mark Barratt