[Zope] kill LONG request and manage_main DoS?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Dec 8 14:31:27 EST 2003

Jaroslav Lukesh wrote at 2003-12-8 10:10 +0100:
>today I was look to my zope linux server and see that have one long running
>process (10 days!) and one python process consume me near 100% of CPU
>power. I was manage this page 10 days before.
>
>Does somebody know how to kill this request? It is safe to kill PID of this
>process,

Try it out. The worst thing that can happen (it probably will)
is that your Zope dies.
That's not too bad, as it is the only other option you have...

>or is possible to kill request at zope level?

Python grew only in version 2.3 the possibility to affect
a running thread. Version 2.3 provides a C level API to
raise an exception in a different thread.
This is not always able to affect the thread (e.g. when it waits
in a C level extension, it will not be affected) but usually, it does.

Before Python 2.3, there is no such chance (and therefore, Zope does
not implement something like this).

>I dont want to
>restart my zope server.

Almost surely, you will need to...
Unless, you let your request run forever...

--
Dieter