[Zope] Zope not starting properly under softlimit: Internalserver error

Heimo Laukkanen huima at iki.fi
Fri Dec 12 09:32:00 EST 2003

> Heimo Laukkanen wrote:
>> This is extremely strange since the service itself ( afaik from the
>> people who manage it ) doesn't want to hog large amounts of memory
>> or when running consume lots of it.
>
> You sure we're talking about zope here? ;-)

Yep ,-) I mean this is really strange behaviour, otherwise I would have
not asked. Without softlimit zope seems to try to grab a lot of memory
untill all the threads have started and then the memory usage drops down
back to what is normal.

Database is aroung 600 MB, which is nothing bad since on another instance
on another machine I run 2.6.2 with Pyhon 2.2.3 and 1,5 GB filestorage and
in startup zope doesn't behave in similar way. I tried to search yesterday
for information on how much Zope should be reserving and using memory in
startup, but did not find any relevant information. Any pointers?

> And when you remove softlimit from the picture... it works?  Redhat 7.x?

Yep. Without softlimit it works. Redhat 7.3 I think. It is not my box.

> Running this as root?  Check the permissions of all the files zope
> wants to read from and write to.  What do the logs say?  Try running
> in debug mode.  Failing all else, import pdb and set a trace point,
> then step through a request.

I'll have to try.

--
-huima