[Zope] Zope as a desktop CMS?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Dec 24 08:12:29 EST 2003

Hi Frederic,

Frederic Faure wrote:
> At 13:38 24/12/2003 +0000, Paul Browning wrote:
>
>> There are answers to all your questions. I just wrote most of them
>> down .....
>

> Someone just told me about this document, and I'm currently reading this
> PDF. Lucky me :-)
>
> Considering the fact that the web's original goal (and, by far, still
> its main use today) was as a document server, it's pretty amazing that
> in 2003, we still don't have user-friendly ways to add contents to a
> site. This friend of mine for which I'm checking out the options is
> currently writing all his articles in Word, saves them in HTML, and
> uploads those through FTP... obviously without the help of even a basic
> CMS.

Oh, there are a lot of posibilities. Most of the time its not
appropriate to have a wysiwyg-editor, since you cant be sure of
the woug (what other users get). So in this cases, a specialized
stereotype form will do. Some input elements, drop down boxes
and text fields and the content is quickly set up. Realizeable
with stock Zope and you dont need more then an ordinary web browser.
-> Wikies are a good example for this.

Of what use is a wysiwyg solution if the targeted user has absolute
no clue about (s)he is doing?

> Honestly, I think a light, dedicated application communicating with the
> web server over an XMLRPC link is a better solution than TTW, notably
> because I could hit CTRL-S to back up the content I'm working on.
> Considering how unstable web browsers are, I'd hate to lost 20 pages of
> texts because the browser GPFed on me :-)

gasp... 20 pages of text. Show me more then 10 people which are willing
to read 20 pages of text in one page.

So its all a matter of analyzing the process and the real needs rather
then the "I think I would like to have for some reason I dont know". :-)

Regards
Tino Wildenhain