[Zope] Re: Java re-invents DTML :-)

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:38:21 -0500

On Friday 14 February 2003 13:48, Michael Lewis wrote:
> I like your proposal a lot.

Thanks.

> I chose Zope originally BECAUSE of dtml.  I
> was not a hard core programmer and the idea of a tag based scripting
> language appealed to me since I was familiar with html.

Right, I personally like DTML more too.

> One question I
> do have, it seemed like you were proposing that there would be something
> to handle the old dtml1 in Zope 3, and there would also be the new
> implementation of dtml2 along with zpt etc.  Am I understanding this
> correctly?

Yes, the old implementation of DTML will still be available.

>  And if so, could you run a site on Zope3 using dtml1 and
> then migrate it to dtml2 and would the code coincide peacefully together
> during that transistion process?  Or, am I way off-base here?

Yes, since I think they will be two different object types or you will be able
to explicitly select between the new and the old version.

However, we have not thought at all about migration tools, but I imagine there
will be some for the common cases, so that you can just run a script that
attempts migrating DTML1 to DTML2 code.

Regards,
Stephan
--