[Zope] Superfast PageTemplates: Call for expertise

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:45:00 +0100

Peter Bengtsson wrote at 2003-2-17 22:57 +0000:
 > My product uses PageTemplates (mostly through PageTemplateFile) and the
 > PageTemplate stuff really goes at the top of the CPU timing.
 > I.e. the PageTemplate rendering is "slow". DTML is probably not faster

DTML is much faster...

 > and
 > I'm not "blaming" PageTemplates as such because I understand that they have
 > a lot of work to do.

 > My question is: How do I ease off the load on PageTemplate rendering?
 >
 > What in TAL should generally be avoided, if possible, to gain that extra
 > performance?

The slowest part for a PageTemplate is its parsing...

  Avoid doing it more than once.

 > Are there any particular constructions that are "bad" to do with TAL
 > syntax/formatting?

I do not think so.

 > (I've heard that METAL is "slow" but they're difficult to avoid because of
 > their great functionality)

I cannot confirm this.

Someone started to code PageTemplates in C. I think, I read something
about this in the "xml-sig" mailing list.

A little less drastic would be to replace the "HTMLParser"
and use, e.g. "sgmlop".

Dieter