[Zope] Standard HTML Comments

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:01:40 -0800

I think the original poster is interested in <!-- XXX --> acting just like
<dtml-comment>XXX</dtml-comment> for purposes of being more brief and doing
less typing. I don't think there is any way to do this, unfortunately.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Earl [mailto:jason.earl@simplot.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 12:46 PM
To: Asad Habib
Cc: zope@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope] Standard HTML Comments

Asad Habib <ahabib@engin.umich.edu> writes:

> Does anyone know why standard HTML comments are rendered in the output by
> a DTML method when it is executed? I know that using the DTML comment
> tag is a way around this problem, but for the sake of consistency I would
> like to continue to use HTML standard comments in DTML methods if
> possible. Is there something I can do to make the method ignore them? Any
> help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> -Asad

When I used to use DTML, I used to do stuff like this all of the time:

<!-- Start Header -->
<dtml-var custom_header>
<!-- End Header -->

That when when I had problems with the rendered output I would have a
better idea which DTML method was wrecking my day.  Is this what you
mean?

A quick test shows that you can do stuff like:

<!-- stupid <dtml-var document_id> comment -->

Stuff like this is pretty easy to test.  Just create a DTML method and
start sticking in comments.

Jason