[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Custom Repository for Storing Objects

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:22:12 -0500

If you want a transparent connection between your XML RDBMS and Zope so t=
hat=20
Zope need not be aware of the storage for these objects then you can use=20
Shane's AdaptableStorage to create a bridge between Zope's ZODB and your=20
RDBMS. This is probably not going to be a total walk in the park though ;=
^).

Also I would caution that "the XML factor" is likely to introduce signifi=
cant=20
overhead to the storage, which when combined with the underlying RDBMS=20
overhead could result in disappointing performance. Just straight RDBMS Z=
ODB=20
storage (such as OracleStorage) not using XML at all is significantly slo=
wer=20
than the stock FileStorage for instance.

A less transparent option would be to create your own bridge by writing a=
 Zope=20
product that can interact via this XML API and conjure up non-persistent=20
objects to represent its state. Then use the standard ZODB FileStorage or=
 ZEO=20
for the Zope side of things.

It would be even easier if your API was done over XML-RPC. Then the=20
marshalling of the XML to python objects could be largely done for you.

hth,

Casey

<scold type=3D"obligatory">Please don't cross-post your messages in the f=
uture.=20
Many of us are subscribed to multiple lists and don't appreciate reading =
the=20
same message multiple times. Thanks</scold>